Thursday 17 March 2016

What the Heart Values is what Matters Most

I am not one to venture into politics in this blog.  However, the political events occurring in these times have been food for much thought over the past year or so.  So without getting political about Canadian or U.S. governing, I’d like to share some of my own meanderings that have been spawned during these interesting times.

When I consider political representatives, it behooves me to look for Leadership that touches the heart of the people.  Naively, perhaps, I believe that good people have a way of leading us with positive stripes that will help us uncover the right choices for decision-making.  So I always remind myself of checking my critical and negative thinking and warning myself to “be careful what you wish for”.

Letting myself engage in negative, judgmental ideas is destructive to others as well as me.  Exercising my right to ‘free speech’ is not, in and of itself, a justification for this.  Don’t we try, as parents, to teach our children that when you have a certain right there is a relative measure of responsibility that flows from that right? 

Perhaps some of the most crucial questions to ask ourselves include what it is that our heart most values in this life.  Has my system of values and beliefs developed such that I most value the diversity of our nation and community?  Do I value the dignity of EACH person?  Do I desire harmony and peace among people?  Do I want to be embraced by my community as one who truly belongs?  Or has my life experience been such that my system of values and beliefs desires exclusivity, a winner takes all attitude, fear of those different from me, and/or severe punishment for those to step on my/our communal toes?  It seems to me that the only way to answer these (and other) questions is not through debate and argument, but rather, through honest and open self-examination.

Our society has become very ‘secular and pluralistic’.  We express that there is not room for religion (Church vs State) to drive our social decisions because of the diversity of our religious beliefs and tenants.  Fact is, our value system is shaped by our hearts desires which have been shaped by our religious traditions.  OH MY GOD< what a vicious circle!  And yet, we allow ourselves to spew rhetoric both publicly and privately about retribution of all kinds against others who ‘step out of line’.  Yes we allow ourselves to say we are ‘true believers’ and still embrace capital punishment, we still push aside and blame victims of violence (refugees, women in domestic violence, children in mass murders) in order to express our inalienable right to say what we want whenever we want.  We feel we have the right to make life good for me.  We do not share the same passion about our responsibility to make life good for others.

So when I hear someone else who spews populist, angry opinions about others (even if it happens to well up a feeling of resonance for this sentiment), what do I do with those opinions?  Sometimes I jump on the bandwagon and then fall off flat on my face….because, that negative opinion did not resonate deeply enough.  Instead I try to think behind those motley, antagonistic views and ask myself what it is that I truly desire and believe.  None of us is perfect…There is a degree of discrimination, xenophobia, racism and sexism in all of us.  It is what we do with this and how we manage our place on the social continuum that truly makes us whole.

Of all the tenants held among world religions, the one we truly hold in common is the Golden rule:

                Love your neighbour as yourself.   Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

If there was ever a time to bring the religions of the world together to come to an understanding of all that we really hold in common, instead of where we differ, it is now.  If there was ever a time when our fundamental belief in the Golden Rule is to be challenged and nurtured and grown, it is NOW!
Resist, my friends, from entering the fires of discord.  Resist the judgmental spit of angry, bitter persons who would rather destroy others and divide people than truly lead.  Let’s all ask ourselves what it is that is really held in our hearts, what it is that we truly value about life and the future of our world.  Otherwise, the warning I must give myself might apply to all of us.  “Be careful what you wish for”.

A faith-filled white man grew up and lived in the deep south.  He became a close friend of the great Thomas Merton.  His faith beliefs drew him to ask the question what would it feel like to be a black person, living in the south during his time (1950’s).  John Howard Griffin had his skin pigmented and he walked the south as a black man.  He then documented his journey in his book,  “Black Like Me”.  This journal brought a young, teenage jock to tears of profound compassion.  Unwittingly, I had the chance to meet him personally 8 years later.  During the wonderful times we were able to share he made a statement at one of our events.  He said:


“All that is necessary for the triumph over evil is that good men and women, living in the Beloved with integrity, do good over and over, again and again, together.”

No comments:

Post a Comment